Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bountiful Baskets

In my quest to cook more at home using fresh ingredients, I happened upon a website called Bountiful Baskets.  If you have not experienced Bountiful Baskets, you have no idea what you are missing.  Bountiful Baskets is a food co-op in which participants contribute $15 (plus $1.50 processing fee) and they will receive a basket of fresh fruits and vegetables.  The value of the baskets is at least $35-$50.  They even offer organic baskets for an extra $10.

Here is a photo of the items I received in my basket one week.  Try buying all that at the grocery store for $16.50.


Bountiful Baskets was started by 2 women in Utah who were just trying to find reasonably priced fruits and vegetables for their families.  It has now expanded to 20 states and is growing every week. The site where I pick up my baskets just went from an every other week (always on a Saturday) pickup to now being available every Saturday.  They rely on volunteers to sort the fruits/vegetables into baskets and handle the distribution.  I used to volunteer every time I did a pick up but I enjoyed it so much that I am now a site coordinator and oversee the operation at my site every other week.

On the Bountiful Baskets website, they have a blog with recipes for several of the items you will receive in your basket.  They also have a facebook page.

Check out Bountiful Baskets to see if they have a location near you.  I guarantee that once you try it you will be hooked and will never pick up produce at your grocery store again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover